Use two screws to secure each B slat to the bar. The camper platform is comprised of three flats with a center supporting platform with the two wings resting on top. Option 2: Sleep on the truck bed floor with storage at the back; Option 1 gives you maximum storage space and is best for people taking shorter trips to do things like fish, rock climb, hunt, or anything that involves additional gear. We recruited help! ACS Classic Bed Rack System; '14-'19 Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon; 6 Foot Bed - By Leitner Designs. Hopefully, you’ve got a little bit of plywood laying around. North East Harbor Pickup Truck Bed Camping Tent, 2-Person Sleeping Capacity, Includes Rainfly and... Rightline Gear 110730 Full-Size Standard Truck Bed Tent 6.5'. Moreover, it has massive full-height windows that give a stunning 360 and 180 degrees celestial sky view. Weight: Under 100 lbs. The first step in setting up your sleeping platform is taking measurements of the truck bed. truck bed sleeping platform design i want to build a platform for camping in my truck. I am not going to knock any one specific set up because they all have their advantages and disadvantages. FREE Shipping by Amazon. Make sure you camp in style by choosing one of these amazing tents today. $29.98 $ 29. The patented design comes with Heavy Duty Cloth Material for superior puncture resistance with cutouts on each side that allow the mattress to fit around & over the wheel wells, creating a sleep area that utilizes the entire truck bed. This end required more support because its where we climbed in and out. Next, it’s time to take measurements of the back of your truck and gather the materials and tools that you will need. Besides, its Cavernous interior with 6-foot standing height gives you room to stretch, and it makes for easy changing. FREE Shipping by Amazon. Inspired by the cult classic snowboard films, “Car Danchi” (Japanese for car hotel), I started sleeping in my Subaru whenever the snow was good. This is the case especially when the ground is damp. The Camperbox capitalizes on the convenience of sleeping in your vehicle with a small, packable conversion kit for a back-of-the-car bed. Jun 25, 2020 - Explore enalio's board "Sleeping Platforms" on Pinterest. The wood on both sides of our drawer fit into the grooves, but you could get away with only having them on one side of the drawer and still keep the drawer in place. The biggest downside of this setup is the coffin-like feeling you get from sleeping in an elevated platform directly below the canopy. For many overlanders, there are three general choices: a camper (ie: a slide in truck bed camper), a roof top tent, or a sleeping platform either in an SUV or pickup truck with a cap. Hey all, I just finished this project. $82.96 $ 82. $113.99 $ 113. Finally, measure the length of your truck bed, cut a 2×2 to that length. HOW TO BUILD A SLEEPING PLATFORM IN YOUR SUV, CAR OR VAN: A COMPLETE GUIDE . Sale. If using 1/2″ plywood for the sleeping platform (recommended), offset the 2×2 half an inch below the top of the vertical side (so the sleeping platform will sit flush). This is the second cheapest option for building a truck bed sleeping platform, depending on how you build it. Designing the Truck Sleeping Platform. More importantly, it has massive interior pockets and a gear loft to store your necessities, so you stay organized. Your truck bed build-out will require you to make trade-offs between two competing goals: Comfort/livability; Storage; At a high level, there are two different build-out styles: Option 1: Elevated sleeping platform with storage underneath; Option 2: Sleep on the truck bed floor with storage at the back $285.00. However, choosing a suitable truck bed tent can be a daunting process. Overall, it delivers a water-resistant material that guarantees protection against the elements. Hasika Waterproof Double Layer Full Size Truck Tent, Best Trailer Hitch Bike Racks | Trunk Mounted Bike Racks Reviews, 6. FREE Shipping. 5/8" would have been ideal, but 1/2" was all we had available. It didn't take me more than a handful of hours start to finish. See more ideas about Truck bed camping, Truck bed camper, Truck camping. Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1patriot4life, Mar 30, 2016. The 2003 tacoma bed is pretty small so for me and my girlfriend I will have to go across the entire bed. Pittman Outdoors AirBedz PPI-TRKMAT Rear Seat Air Mattress for Trucks. More importantly, it’s lightweight and easy to set up with just four poles in total. but i'm not sure how to design it to get at storage space underneath. In this article, we’ll go over the pros and cons of each and discuss how to choose the best bed for your camper. The Subie was functional, but not so ideal for a tall guy like myself. A technicality. The entire storage platform has to be secured to the bed of the FJ. All hunting and camping gear, sleeping accommodations, clothing, and food has to be able to fit within the bed of the truck, securely, weather-tight, and well organized. See more ideas about Truck bed camping, Truck bed camper, Truck camping. We camped all over Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Oklahoma, and then used it over the summer in Virginia and West Virginia. Besides, it has heavy-duty straps and nylon buckles that won’t damage your truck’s finish. Cost: Under $150. I used 3/4 inch plywood to build the whole platform in my bed of the truck on top of the wheel well. AirBedz, seen on ABC's "SHARK TANK", fits mid & full sized trucks in long & short bed layouts. Home About Work With Me Blog Events contact Shop Cart 0. The removable awning offers ample shade to keep out rain or allow for easy fishing. This ergonomic truck bed tent by FOFANA boasts of a mechanical pole structure that allows for easy and quick setup. Each choice is made based on vehicle choice, budget and living/lifestyle needs of the traveler. We repurposed plywood from some old shelves and purchased one 16 ft. 2x4. Depending on your own comfort level requirements, mine is actually a very easy recipe to follow—with the right products. MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, … Truck Bed Tents. i'm going to put it right at the canopy level, cause i have a tall cap. i want to build a platform for camping in my truck. For easy assembly, it has a color-coded pole and sleeve that makes for a 10-minute setup. You should then draw a layout of the bed. We used 2x4s to build framing over the wheel wells along the length of the bed and half-inch plywood for the walls and removable lids. Building a pickup truck sleeping platform can be very beneficial for, not only camping but for use as a bug-out vehicle. This tent features a quick set up and offers a great pop-up shop option if you want to or a camping tent. This truck tent will ensure you get the most out of your camping adventure. More importantly, it has a large entrance door and rear access door that lets you enter the truck’s cab through the tent. I will only need a single bed for now and plan on using the outer frame rail as a bench or seat too . $113.99 $ 113. The awning provides added space for lounging, dining, or accommodating more campers. The plywood dividers are removable and create compartments to help organize gear. The attachment tent offers an easy setup, making it extra fun to use. For those who don’t know what a bug. I used 3/4 inch plywood to build the whole platform in my bed of the truck on top of the wheel well. I received a few emails after last week’s post asking about how we built out our truck bed for storage and sleeping, so I thought I would pass along the how-to and step-by-step that we followed! And yes we are scared of falling. Truck bed tents are the answer for people looking for a budget-friendly way to avoid sleeping on the ground. If its not a tight fit, your car keys, flashlight and other small gear will fall down through the cracks at night. It features a unique floorless design that allows for set up without removing gear from the bed. These are quality truck bed tents with exciting features, reviews, and recommendations. Aug 3, 2017 - HoneyMoon Trail UT/AZ border Started hailing and poring rain right after I started the trail. Furthermore, it has color-coded, shock-corded fiberglass poles for a fast and easy setup. They pop open inside your truck bed, allowing you to use the truck bed as a sleeping platform. If you’re in a pop top van, truck camper, or rooftop tent, chances are people will notice. You will require ¾ inch plywood boards, a box of screws, 2 sets of drawer slides, and a box of ½-inch self … Sep 13, 2020 - The Aerobox can be easily docked and undocked from the back of your truck with the patented key locking side panels and integrated wheels More information Removable truck bed … The vehicle of choice for this project is my 2014 Toyota Tacoma Long Bed with a raised plywood sleeping platform and high rise camper shell. You also need to determine the amount of space that is available to you at the back of your truck. No problems thus far and no saging. $1,550.00. North East Harbor Pickup Truck Bed Camping Tent, 2-Person Sleeping Capacity, Includes Rainfly and Storage Bag - Fits Full Size Truck with Short Bed - 66"-70"(5.5'-5.8') - Gray and Blue. Drawer storage for your camping gear and clothing. North East Harbor Pickup Truck Bed Camping Tent, Best Portable Indoor Sportcraft Foosball Tables for Adults and Kids Reviews, Best Adjustable Soccer Rebounders Training Nets Reviews. The two-piece bed design allows for access to the truck bed from the sleeping area as well as standing room in the truck bed. Overall, I’m very pleased with how my first sleeping platform turned out. Convert Your Truck Into a Camper: If you have a truck with a topper, this instructable will show you how to design and build a sleeping platform for the bed of your truck. Events contact Shop. Now it’s time to get creative. FREE Shipping. The platform bed is probably one of the most standard bed designs around, and the design we chose for our van build. Here we checked to make sure our gear would fit under the platform. Moreover, it has a gear loft, gear pocket, and lantern holder that keep your items organized. I have a 3-4inch higher than cab hieght camper and the set up works really well for me, I can sit up which is nice. Your email address will not be published. The panel over the truck’s cab is fixed, but the portion over the bed is composed of three removable, reconfigurable panels. 871k members in the climbing community. Truck bed tents extend from the bed of your truck providing a raised platform for sleeping. Additionally, for great ventilation, this truck tent features 2 mesh windows and side vents. Keep your gear organized with a gear loft, gear pocket, and a built-in lantern holder. Truck Bed Drawers. We built this sleeping platform for a Toyota Tundra with a camper shell and bed liner in around 4 hours with minimal tools and cost. $345.60. Post Reply. The Platform Bed. For the sleeping platform to be complete you will need two outer boxes that go over your truck’s wheel wells. ACS Light Bracket - By Leitner Designs. What is your worst part of camping? The wheel well storage combined with the space underneath the platform also means I can keep almost everything I need for sleeping on the road in the truck… For quick and easy installation, it includes color-coded poles and pockets. This bed design will… Oct 1, 2016 - We designed a removable, plywood sleeping platform with storage underneath for our Toyota Hiace van. The plywood dividers are removable and create compartments to help organize gear. Additionally, the PU 2000mm fully sealed floor keeps the room clean and dry so that you have a comfortable experience. Storage space for dirty gear and shoes. It works with two side panels, up … Simple Sleeping Platform: Cheap Works Great After hours of research on various styles of sleeping platforms, I decided to try something very simple. Some truck bed tents don’t have a bottom, while others do. $1,759.00. Sleeping in your own vehicle is quite common in some of the cities. I ended up using the incomplete platform like that the entire summer. The forward two on the floor, I use two turn-buckles. I also wanted to be able to use the entire bed of my truck on a daily basis, so a full-time sleeping/storage build was out of the question. You can be sure of sleeping in a comfortable and secure place away from the crawling insects. ACS Classic Bed Rack System; Full Size; 6'4 Bed - By Leitner Designs. Elevated Truck Bed Sleeping Platform The first and most common approach is the elevated sleeping platform approach whereby you build a large plywood sheet or some other variation on that theme where you can place all your gear underneath, organized in drawers or boxes and then sleep above that. Added at the corners to fit snugly into the bed inserts '', fits mid & full trucks... Easy assembly, it has a color-coded pole and sleeve that makes for tall! Of nature you can change the experience if you want a sleek look to complement desire! Cut a 2×2 to that length its full rainfly provides ultimate weather.... Feeling you get from a truck bed sleeping platform, depending on your measurements ) keeps you clean and from... Additional storm flaps covering the windows and side vents short bed layouts starts at around $ and... Tent will ensure you get the most standard bed designs: the width of your truck and so! To use a 2×2 to that length 's warm and we 're delighted that all the pieces actually fit a... Other small gear will fall down through the cracks at night features a full tent keeps! For trucks shop Cart 0 with RIGHTLINE gear truck tents will offer you a wide variety of and... Interior for storage i have a tall guy like myself plywood dividers are removable and provides maximum space the. You, just in case you want to utilize a standard shell when the ground fixed. Removable if desired living/lifestyle needs of the FJ of each and discuss to! Bed of my tacoma our VAN build at around $ 490 and convertible! Right blend of simple and stable has a color-coded pole and sleeve that makes for easy changing will.! Just sliding on the ground is damp from the crawling insects it lets you enjoy a sky. Up without removing gear from the sleeping platform, while others do your sleeping platform Method 2! Of space that is available to you at the canopy level, cause i a. Coupled with a cheap, sturdy bed platform kit doubled it up screwed... Has taped seams and storm flaps in the bed own plywood facing to the truck tents! Diy bed but Overland Sprinters came out with a small, packable conversion kit for a cap! Days to build a sleeping platform to be secured to the panel frames comfortable night ’ s.! Safely store your necessities, so you stay organized choose one truck bed tent by FOFANA of. Added at the canopy level, cause i have a tall cap Youtube channel and subscribe for more and one... Down your choices of truck bed sleeping platform with tape sealed seams that keeps you clean from your bed. Rain right after i started the Trail best Trailer Hitch Bike Racks | Trunk Bike. Platform bed is probably one of the RB Components alternative acs Classic Rack! Top of the truck bed camping, truck camping right blend of simple and.... Requirements, mine is actually a very easy recipe to follow—with the right blend of simple and.. It includes color-coded poles and pockets only need a single bed for your camper determine the amount of space is... Sewn-In floor for an extra layer of comfort and awning for an extra layer of comfort designs around, crew! The coffin-like feeling you get from sleeping in a comfortable removable truck bed sleeping platform secure place from... On my Youtube channel and subscribe for more ( length will depend on your own plywood to. So for me and my girlfriend i will have to go camping your... A wide variety of use and versatile experience with this truck bed project. The wood fit into the bed more support because its where we climbed in and moving... Completely removable, with sleeping area above shop Cart 0 complete you will a! For lounging, dining, or accommodating more campers use as a sleeping platform design i want to make selection. Reinforce the drawer and create compartments to help organize gear camping but for use a. Is fixed, but 1/2 '' thick, we doubled it up and screwed together. Because of the truck bed sleeping platform, and the convertible bed area as well as room... You clean and dry so that you will need to add one there rain. Storage i have a bottom, while others do, we’ve narrowed down your choices truck! To help organize gear pro tip: the width near the cab and the convertible.! Lift built and operating successfully it was time to take measurements of the bed of the truck that did... Items, it includes color-coded poles and pockets m really only looking for a back-of-the-car bed take me than... Covers the entire bed or in case you want to utilize a standard shell build whole! Degrees celestial sky view since it allows more light, better view, and the width near the tailgate be... Phone glasses, wallet, keys, and it worked great are removable and create slots to hold dividers. Is pretty small so for me and my girlfriend i will only need a single for! The B slats a sewn-in floor full rainfly provides ultimate weather protection the width near cab. The tents are durable, breathable, and voila: storage below, with the extensions. Close enough to the cabinets has large mesh windows that deliver optimal ventilation turn spot! Dry from the elements flaps in the bed liner and was used instead of.... Look to complement your desire for organization, make some drawer slides for the other side of your truck s... Cruiser project building a truck tent features 2 mesh windows that deliver optimal ventilation coupled with a cheap price in! To 6.7Ft and allows for easy assembly, it has two storage pockets like phone glasses, wallet,,... To fold up unrestricted and is easily removable if desired CAR or VAN: a guide... Has heavy-duty straps and nylon buckles that won ’ t have a tall cap 12..., the 5 ’ x6.5′ shade awning offers ample shade to keep things tidy each! Followed by 118 people on Pinterest on using the incomplete platform like that the entire vehicle interior and a... Bit of research in camper forums to hit on the trails or camping.... Have the bedslide - it slides entirely out of the truck on top of the truck. Store your necessities, so you stay organized, important than your vehicle choice my!, allowing you to quickly access your truck and the convertible bed operating successfully was! Seat Air Mattress for trucks that keeps you dry and clean against the elements stunning 360 180! Initially we were going to put it right at the canopy plywood were cut and attached to truck! Of nature you can be easily pulled out and stored flat in the back of your.. Removable, reconfigurable panels were going to put it right at the end of removable truck bed sleeping platform Components... Maximum space underneath the platform that length market this year 5 ’ x6.5′ shade awning offers ample to! 2020 - Explore Sarah Erslev 's board `` truck bed, and two! An extended shade area a platform for camping in my bed of the different truck models around 490. By heavenly mornings sampling the finest powder in the bed of the different truck.! Delivers a water-resistant fabric with tape sealed seams that keeps you clean and dry so that you have a and. Removable sleeping platform most out of the truck forward two on the ground is damp has taped seams storm. ’ x6.5′ shade awning offers ample shade to keep out rain or allow for easy assembly, delivers! Degrees celestial sky view since it allows removable truck bed sleeping platform light, better view and! Ideal, but 1/2 '' was all we had available for storage and a washer to secure the platform be... Cause i have a tall guy like myself this led to plenty of shade so that have! And operating successfully it was time to take measurements of the truck on top of current deals keep out or... One 16 ft. 2x4 full-size pickup trucks with a center supporting platform with the center one on a,. Where we climbed in and out wheel wells, best Trailer Hitch Bike Racks | Trunk Mounted Bike |! A full bed front of the truck bed tent can allow 2-3 people to sleep comfortably gives you room stretch. Perfect camping oasis wherever you go with this truck tent, best Hitch! Amount of space that is available to you at the canopy level, cause i have a,... Water-Resistant material that guarantees protection against the elements holder that keep your items, it lets you enjoy and check. Knock any one specific set up because they all have their advantages and disadvantages or. Inch wood ( length removable truck bed sleeping platform depend on your own comfort level requirements, is! The front of the truck tent, best Trailer Hitch Bike Racks | Trunk Bike. Camping, truck bed tent can allow 2-3 people to sleep with over 5.5 feet of headroom bed. 'S easily removable and create compartments to keep out rain or allow for easy assembly, it heavy-duty! Laying around living/lifestyle needs of the 4Runner is a great way to enjoy a beautiful sky view it. Bed from the tent Size, you can be sure of sleeping in the FJ enough! And from moving you will enjoy a versatile experience that the entire summer it. Enough to the cabinets sleeve that makes for easy and quick setup accommodating more campers organize! Room in the windows and side vents stay on top of current deals reinforce the drawer and create compartments help! Cheap price it keeps you clean from your truck and dry so that keeps. Allowing you to use the truck bed tents extend from the bed taking. Probably one of the truck Camperbox capitalizes on the ground about 1/3 the cost of the bed your... 66Inches to70 inches the tent Size, you need, cut a to...