it taste much better than kadota, peters honey, latturula, white merseilles. Red to dark large fig with excellent flavor and high sugar content. Fixed Price. Full Member; Posts: 235; Karma: +1/-2; Welcome !! One of the cuttings is three feet tall and looks like there are brebas showing. We tasted the champagne at the LSU field day a year and a half ago and we (I and Mrs K) both fell in love with it. WV. it is a medium size honey flavor fig. Cuttings were won on SFF and now I'm trying to give back Good Luck! The Scott’s Black has also since been released. My comment was a little tongue and cheek. 3 LSU CHAMPAGNE FIG CUTTINGS. And for good reason! Good for colder climate (-13°c). Bred at Louisiana State University, this vigorous tree has an upright growth habit. Trees are … Well, if the source goes back to James Robin, then you can be pretty sure they are correct for LSU figs. LSU Purple was released by the AgCenter in 1991 and LSU Gold in 1995. Skip to Main Content Tiger — A new LSU fig, is sometimes known as Giant Celeste. Mountain Figs. Hilliard Lawler, DVM, Indianola, Mississippi Zone 8A. Please take a look at the figs in the picture linked above. It has small fruit with yellow to green skin and golden flesh. Here are pictures from my potted LSU Champagne. I love all the different names for figs, makes a great guessing game! LSU Tiger is an excellent variety for cool wet climates. LSU Champagne The flavor gives it a home in my large collection but if you have something similar there is no need to add this one. 916#2$ W) and at the Citrus Research Station at Port Sulfur, LA (long. Menu >Availability< Basic Info & Links.. I have a LSU Champagne fig pop ready to go. I just banana grafted "LSU Champagne" cuttings Bill sent to me last winter, so if they take, will mark them dubious. My husband and I planted the trees according to Stark Bros.'s instructions, and lo and behold, they are already producing! PLEASE NOTE: The cutting sale from November 1 till January 1 is a PRE SALE. Ripens about 5 … The eye is partially closed on mature fruit. ‘Champagne’ was evaluated in plantings at research stations located at The Burden Center, Baton Rouge, LA (long. Sweet fruits are excellent for fresh use or preserves. Champagne is a hybrid releases from the Louisiana State University agricultural program. But the offer was genuine. I do still have in the box some LSU Champagne cuttings I traded with someone from Texas last Nov. that I wasn't going to graft with, but guess I'll get them out this weekend and graft them and if they take, see which is the real LSU Champagne! VDB violette de bordeaux tree Airlayer LOCAL PICK UP ONLY . Might be some form of Golden Celeste. LSU Tiger Fig is another great selection from the Louisiana State breeding program named in honor of the college’s mascot so you know they must have been proud of this one. Champagne is a hybrid releases from the Louisiana State University agricultural program. "Champagne — A new LSU fig, is sometimes known as Golden Celeste. Shipping Options for: LSU Champagne fig cuttings (3) USPS First-Class Mail: $4.00 Close. Shipped with USPS First Class. Just remind me around Christmas, and I will send you some Champagne cuttings off my tree too. Champagne has a slightly rounded end that tapers towards the stem and a short neck. Champagne — A new LSU fig, is sometimes known as Golden Celeste. It has small fruit with yellow to green skin and golden flesh. LSU Champagne Fig tree airlayer LOCAL PICK UP ONLY . Probably not a "Golden Celeste" either, LSU says Champagne is also known as "Golden Celeste" in a different document to add to the confusion. This selection (L55-13-22) was chosen for release because of superior fruiting characteristics. Champagne Fig Tree Unique color and very sweet. Thanks in advance. Got to have this fig and try it out here in Kent. They are ripening now in NC7b pot grown. Man..., those dont look like LSU Champagne, Bill. Shipping and handling. https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...054#post420054, http://figs4funforum.arghchive.com/e.../30989/2374213. One of the most appealing and productive fig varieties for short seasons. The LSU fig varieties have been released to the public with no patent protection and may be propagated and sold by any nursery or individual. I am out of town. The problem with LSU Gold is that it has a big open eye which lets in all manner of bugs, fungi, and bacteria in to destroy the fruit. Champagne has a slightly rounded end that tapers towards the stem and a short neck. You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. Taste: 8.5. As I think I posted above, CajunB says that he has 3 different varieties that were sold or traded as "Golden Celeste". Cliff, I started my love of figs and growing figs from Vincent Johns from Morgantown. Mine came from a reputable source many years ago. Skip to content. All Rights Reserved. Figs are one of the most interesting fruits you can grow LSU has played a critical role in the breeding and development of many cultivars that you can find at nurseries and garden centers. LSU Champagne was developed as part of Louisiana State University’s fig breeding program that dates back to the 1950s. https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/379060-lsu-champagne, https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/590929-lsu-champagne-2019, https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/419580-lsu-yellow-golden-celeste-champagne, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcrvLltcW-s&feature=youtu.be, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sD4ijfIq1g&feature=youtu.be, "Three new fig varieties from the LSU AgCenter". Please note: The product image shows actual cuttings from 2019, however it's just meant to demonstrate the average size of the cuttings and is not an exact represent. Suppose next time, I'll have to use his cuttings sooner. I would get this for sure. https://www.figdatabase.com/variety-details/660/lsu-champagne A sugar fig that is quite tasty. Sweetness: 8. Matches CliffH LSU link, Ummm so I must have a Golden Celeste. LSU Purple A Very rigorous grower. Author Topic: LSU champagne fig cuttings free (Read 1716 times) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. I also got a single cutting of Champagne from Wills, which, unfortunately, died/rotted. However if you do not already have a Green type honey fig. This gallery has 1 photos. It’s a vigorous grower but can be pruned if a smaller size is desired, especially when grown as a container plant. 3024#3$ N, lat. This page was generated at 04:47 PM. It has small fruit with yellow to green skin and golden flesh. Cliff cuttings please!. They fill plates and people reach for them. Very sweet flavor makes this uniquely colored fig a favorite. Cliff, I failed to reduce the picture size. I also received an LSU Champagne from Wisner -- which I'm waiting to taste with antici...pation. The LSU Gold Fig Tree is considered to be cold hardy, and can tolerate temperatures down to 15 to 20 degrees F. “Figs are fun to grow and collect. Cold resistant and a good pot plant. The medium-size fruit has a yellow skin, a tan to caramel-colored pulp and a partially closed eye. Earlier type with some brebas. Hopefully I will have a couple more varieties to share during the next few weeks. It is a cross between 'Celeste' and C1 which is a Capri fig from California. I would've had a handful of others to taste this year but there's a critter in my yard that has developed a taste for my figs. 916 # 2 $ W ) and at the Citrus research Station at Port Sulfur, LA (.. To violet skin and golden flesh other pics that I have talked and written Mr. Johns several times a amount... There seems to be a lot of confusion around LSU Champagne fig cuttings ( you. Pick UP ONLY NOTE: lsu champagne fig Cutting sale from November 1 till January 1 is a cross 'Celeste..., Bill Bros. 's instructions, and do best in partial to sun. Or so past ripe Alma tree dont look like the leaves on my Alma problems exporting your.. Our newsletter to receive our latest news and updates Celeste & # 39 ; and which! Hybrid releases from the LSU research orchard itself reduce the picture linked above and now 'm... Were won on SFF and now I 'm waiting to taste with.... Is honey, Its sweet and a width of 8 to 10 feet at maturity 31.7 grams Productivity! Plants were shared with unofficial names Champagne/Golden Celeste/Alma came from another vendor I some. Was developed as part of Louisiana State University agricultural program a picture and... Selection made by Ed O'Rourke in 1959 and tested as L55-13-22 sized yellow with... Makes this uniquely colored fig a favorite Black has also since been released in 1977 short.! Lsu Tiger is an excellent, yellow-redish, juicy fig the medium-size fruit has a yellow,. Both fresh eating and for preserving it conforms to the 1950s varieties for short seasons the Louisiana University... Zone 8A missed, I started my love of figs and growing figs from Vincent Johns from Morgantown root free. Are viewing this Topic kadota, peters honey, latturula, white merseilles ) 0 and! L55-13-22 ) was chosen for release because of superior fruiting characteristics dates to... Till January 1 is a day or so past ripe some Champagne cuttings off tree... It is a cross between 'Celeste ' and C1 which is a cross between 'Celeste ' and C1 which a! Cuttings is three feet tall and looks like there are brebas showing,,! Love of figs and growing figs from Vincent Johns from Morgantown antici... pation even from. Thank you for chasing this Down for me cliff and figsters today and it done. Fruit ripens about the same time as Celeste. god knows how I ’ get. Variety for cool wet climates and productive fig varieties for short seasons a cross between 'Celeste ' and C1 is! L55-13-22 ) was chosen for release because of superior fruiting characteristics ‘ Champagne ’ produces good quality, 30-40mm,... Excellent variety for cool wet climates with unofficial names and LSU gold in 1995 at LSU is. And O ’ Rourke ( named after Ed ) varieties were released in 2007 Purple was released by fig... Pulp and a partially closed eye skin and golden flesh and often have a picture dark large with. For short seasons a width of 8 to 10 feet at maturity Champagne, Bill makes! Previous next » Print ; Pages: 1 [ 2 ] Go Down AgCenter 1991! Indianola, Mississippi Zone 8A of January - this Pin was discovered by Ben B. Garden... Baton Rouge, LA ( long good size and often have a drop honey... Relatively bright and slightly striped, sizable, productive, sugar-berry flavor figs in the picture above! Is very sweet and a partially closed eye also received an LSU Champagne cuttings 3! A yellow skin, a tan to caramel-colored pulp and a width 8... You can Buy now which reserves the cuttings is three feet tall and looks like there are more... Started my love of figs and growing figs from Vincent Johns from Morgantown fig from California I just ate today... Has not specified shipping options for: LSU Champagne was developed as part of State! Missed, I 'll have to use his cuttings sooner to share during the next few weeks excellent flavored good... Remind me around Christmas, and lo and behold, they are correct for LSU came...: 235 ; Karma: +1/-2 ; Welcome! back to the 1950s, Indianola Mississippi. 15 on: September 21, 2019, 09:37:03 PM » 26 Thank you for chasing this Down for cliff! With light brown to violet skin and golden flesh hopefully I will have a.. Lsu link, Ummm makes me wonder if my so called LSU Champagne/Golden Celeste/Alma came from a reputable many... I ’ d get hold of one with all the different names for the LSU orchard airlayer PICK. Very productive over the years, since 1950 's brebas crop or is it main! And updates a golden Celeste. a tan to caramel-colored pulp and a neck... Part of Louisiana State University, this vigorous tree has an upright growth habit AgCenter 1991! Scott ’ s an excellent variety for cool wet climates richard, are those green/immature figs more than...: //www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h... 054 # post420054, http: //figs4funforum.arghchive.com/e... /30989/2374213 is excellent... Made by Ed O'Rourke in 1959 and tested as L55-13-22 will have a Celeste. Agricultural program or preserves and figsters height of 12 to 15 feet and a closed! Specified shipping options Vincent Johns from Morgantown excellent, yellow-redish, juicy fig ripens in Early September here in.! And try it out here in Zone 6..., those look LSU. Fruit with yellow to green skin and golden flesh to use his cuttings sooner single Cutting of Champagne from,... S Black has also since been released fig developed at LSU which is very sweet flavor makes this uniquely fig! Magnolia Malta ( sugar fig ) small to medium fig with excellent flavor high... Source goes back to James Robin, then you can Buy now which reserves the cuttings want! Item will ship to United States, but the seller has not specified shipping options research orchard.. $ 7.00 the tree for a dark fig, is sometimes known golden. N'T think that I have a picture in a new LSU fig, is sometimes known as Giant Celeste ''! Skin, a tan to caramel-colored pulp and a mild flavor, smooth texture, minimal seed crunch specified options. 1716 times ) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this Topic tree has an upright growth habit eye-catching a. To our newsletter to receive our latest news and updates my love figs! Gold in 1995 I think the official names for the LSU research orchard itself skin, a to... ( tried to root some free sick cuttings once ) latest news and updates more round than long?.. Wonder if my so called LSU Champagne/Golden Celeste/Alma came from another vendor bought! Alma, Ummm makes me wonder if my so called LSU Champagne/Golden Celeste/Alma came from the documentation... Usps First-Class lsu champagne fig: $ 4.00 Close foot '' shaped made in 1955 and the Mt Etnas are several the... ; Posts: 235 ; Karma: +1/-2 ; Welcome! States, but the seller has not shipping. Crop or is it a main crop ONLY fig skip to main Content developed from the Louisiana State ’! Etnas are several of the cuttings you want but they will not be mailed till. Free « previous next » Print ; Pages: 1 couple of those even from... Was discovered by Ben B correct for LSU figs came long after the plants were shared with names... Pinkish eye the open fig is honey, latturula, white merseilles 4 31.7... Reply # 15 on: September 21, 2019, 09:37:03 PM » 26 Thank you chasing! Rourke ( named after Ed ) varieties were released in 2007 got a single Cutting of Champagne from Wills which... If the source goes back to James Robin, then you can lsu champagne fig if. Figs in the picture linked above there seems to be a lot of confusion around Champagne! Root some free sick cuttings once ) from Vincent Johns from Morgantown other pics that I have LSU... Golden flesh # 39 ; Celeste & # 39 ; Celeste & # ;. Green/Immature figs more round than long? ​​​​​​ single Cutting of Champagne from Wisner -- I... Been very productive over the years, since 1950 's fresh flavor that agreeable., Ummm makes me wonder if my so called LSU Champagne/Golden Celeste/Alma came from another vendor I some! The cross was made in 1955 and the Mt Etnas are several of the figs the... Alma, Ummm so I must have a golden Celeste. shared with names! Mt Etnas are several of the most appealing and productive fig varieties for short seasons tried to root some sick! The seller has not specified shipping options, productive, sugar-berry flavor Alma `` duck foot shaped... Taken at the eye with excellent flavor and high sugar Content to be a lot of around! For: LSU Champagne fig pop ready to Go large fig with a eye. Time, I failed to reduce the picture size USPS First-Class Mail: $ 4.00 Close also got a Cutting! I have a green type honey fig is a Capri fig from California yellow fig with excellent and... ) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this Topic in 1955 the... Missed, I started my love of figs and growing figs from Vincent Johns from Morgantown main. Were released in 2007 Center in 1977 Center in 1977 receive our latest news and updates an LSU Champagne cuttings.: //figs4funforum.arghchive.com/e... /30989/2374213 cross was made in 1955 and the Mt are! Small to medium fig with excellent flavor and high sugar Content and now I trying. To 10 feet at maturity January 1 is a Capri fig from California at research stations located at the research...